Experienced psychologist, psychotherapist, sleep medicine expert.
Clinical activity with patients:
neuropsychological assessment on patients affected by Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, cerebral tumors, sleep disorders
clinical diagnosis of patients who have difficulties falling asleep or staying asleep at night, problems with excessive daytime sleepiness or other medical problems occurring during sleep
conducted cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy in primarily outpatient populations suffering from a variety of Axis I and Axis II mental disorders
conducting cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT) and circadian rhythm disorders
conducting psychoeducational support group with obstructive sleep apnea patients to improve adherence to continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) treatment.
My research activity is dedicated to expand research mostly through clinical research. Research activity on cognitive impairment in OSAS, compliance to the treatment, non-pharmacological and pharmacological therapies for primary and secondary insomnias, legal implications of parasomnias, the study of dream content related to the changing of the body schema is my main goal. We collaborate with internal and external division and ward integrating research and treatment across traditional academic boundaries to take an interdisciplinary approach.
1. Cicolin A, Magliola U, Giordano A, Terreni A, Bucca C, Mutani R. Effects of levetiracetam on nocturnal sleep and daytime vigilance in healthy volounteers. Epilepsia, 2006; 47 (1): 82-85
2. Amanzio M, Monteverdi S, Giordano A, Soliveri P, Filippi P, Geminiani G. Impaired awareness of movement disorders in Parkinson's disease. Brain Cogn, 2010; 72 (3): 337-346
3. Cicolin A, Tribolo A, Giordano A, Chiarot E, Peila E, Terreni A, Bucca C, Mutani R. Sexual behaviors during sleep associated with polysomnographically confirmed parasomnia overlap disorder. Sleep Med, 2011; 12 (5): 523-528
4. Cicolin A, Airoldi M, Giordano A, Francese V, Peila E, Tribolo A, Pedani F, Torta R. Dream content and sleep changes in women after mastectomy
Journal of Clinical Oncology 01/2012; 30(15)
5. Giordano A, Francese V, Peila E, Tribolo A, Airoldi M, Mutani R, Cicolin A. Dream content changes in women after mastectomy: an initial study of body imagery after body disfiguring surgery. Dreaming, Dreaming, 2012; 22 (2): 115-123
6. Cicolin A, Zibetti M, Tribolo A, Giordano A, Fattori E, Iadarola A, Aglì F, Cavallo F, Mutani R, Lopiano L. Macro- and Micro-Structural Aspects of Sleep in Severe Parkinson’s Disease. J Sleep Med Disord, 2016; 3(4): 1054
7. Francese V, Giordano A, Fattori F, Iadarola A, Aglì F, Falbo M, Cavallo F, Cicolin A. Effects of Different Type of Titration Procedures and Home Technical Assistance on Compliance to CPAP Therapy. J Sleep Med Disord, 2016; 3(5): 1059
8. Baiardi S, Cirignotta F, Cicolin A, Garbazza C, D’Agostino A, Gambini O, Giordano A, Canevini M, Zambrelli E, Marconi AM, Mondini S, Borgwardt S, Cajochen C, Rizzo N and Manconi M. Chronobiology, sleep-related risk factors and light therapy in perinatal depression: the “Life-ON” project. BMC Psychiatry, 2016, 16:374
9. Kräuchi K, Fattori E, Giordano A, Falbo M, Iadarola A, Aglì F, Tribolo A, Mutani R, Cicolin A. Sleep on a high heat capacity mattress increases conductive body heat loss and slow wave sleep. Physiology and Behavior, 2018; 185: 23-30